Login   forgot your password?

Frequently Asked Questions


Are your Courses Nationally Accredited?


Click here to see our Accreditation to provide Food Safety training!

Train to Gain is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO # 22361) and we can issue you Nationally Accredited Certificates like the Food Safety Supervisor Qualification.

We have issued Food Safety Certificates all over Australia and we give the BEST customer service in the business!

A Statement of Attainment forms part of an accreditation. We offer units of competency from the hospitality, retail and health support training packages. We refer to "certificates" in our marketing purely because this is how the "Food Safety Certificate" or the "Food Safety Supervisor Certificate" qualification is perceived in the community and by State regulators.


How do I get my certificate?



1.      Register your details 

2.      Choose the course you would like to do 

3.      Make your secure payment for your course

4.      Complete your enrolment  and start your online training

5.      Once you complete your online assessment and the online third party form is submitted your certificate is                instantly emailed to you! NSW students will also receive the NSW Food Authority Certificate via express post.



I'm in NSW- What certificate do I need?

If you are in NSW it is a requirement to have a specific NSW Food Authority Certificate. We are approved and registered with the NSW Food Authority and will post out your NSW Food Authority certificate to you once you complete your online training within 5-7 business days.You will also receive the Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment, which will be emailed to you automatically, this covers all the other States of Australia.

When an FSS holder’s certification expires, a food business has 30 days to ensure:

  1. The FSS renews their training within 30 working days; or
  2. Another FSS with a current qualification is appointed


Please note for NSW Certificates 

If a certificate has been deemed successfully delivered by Australia Post (or has been returned due to an incorrect or insufficient address being supplied) there will be a $35 fee charged for any reissued certificates.

If a customer wishes to receive a NSW Food Safety Supervisor certificate after they have previously gained the Nationally Accredited Statement of Attainment with Train to Gain there will be a $75 fee charged to cover postage and administrative costs.

Click here to read more about NSW Food Safety Certificates


What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

All students studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, will be required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). A USI is an account (or reference number) made up of numbers and letters. The USI will allow a student online access to their training records and results (transcript) through their online USI account. Please contact the USI Department directly for any assistance on : 1300 857 536.

The link below is a helpful tool in how to access your USI number.


Enrolment help relating to name/ USI number

Please log into your USI account at www.usi.gov.au whilst keeping our enrolment form open in another window.

Open your personal details page on your USI account.

Copy and paste your First and Last name from the USI site into our enrolment form. (We only require first and last name, please exclude middle name section).

Copy and paste your USI number into our enrolment form (this is a 10 digit number).

All USI information is case sensitive which is why it is best to copy and paste to avoid any differences.

How do I get a reprint of my certificate?

Simply go back into the website www.foodsafetyeducation.com.au and re-download your certificate straight away! If for some reason you cannot gain access into your account please email: contact@traintogain.com.au with your full name and we will reply with a solution.


How long do I have to complete my course?

Our courses are all self-paced learning. You will have 12 months to complete your course from the time you enrol and pay. If you fail to complete your course within the 12 month timeframe – your enrolment will be cancelled and you will need to re-enrol and pay to start your course again.


Do I have to complete the course in one session?


You can stop and start as many times as you like. All your learning will be saved to exactly where you were up to in the course. It is best to always "log out" at the end of your learning so the “system” is refreshed when you re enter. When you re enter rest assured that the system will take you to exactly where you last were.

You have 12 months from enrolment to complete your course.


What do I need to have to do your courses online? 

  • Good understanding of written English
  • Be able to operate a computer
  • Have access to the internet
  • Have access to an email account
  • Have access to a printer
  • Practical experience within the relevant industry
  • Have an observer with food safety knowledge and practical skills who has seen you deal with food in a safe manner
  • A Unique Student Identifier (USI). This is a requirement of the government for every student doing training.

Because we offer online training we need to prove your practical skills in Food Safety (we cant just give certificates to anyone!) and we do this by an online third party checklist form that is emailed to your nominated observer.

Don't stress- this form is filled out and returned ONLINE so there's No paper, No printing, No problem!

Your observer does not need to have the food safety certificate to be your observer but they do need to have a very good understanding of food safety skills.

Your observer can be:

  • Present Supervisor/Employer
  • Past Supervisor/Employer
  • Volunteer Supervisor/Manager
  • Event Supervisor/Manager

Remember you have 12 months to complete this course. If you want a break, your course will be exactly where you left off. No repeating anything!

Please note:

You need to have some previous experience dealing with food safety but this can be in a restaurant, cafe, sporting club, school canteen, child care or aged care centre or volunteering at your local sausage sizzle at the footy club!

It’s up to YOU how soon you get your food safety certificate.

When you have successfully completed your online training assessment. Your certificate will be issued when your online third party checklist form has been successfully submitted. 

So get onto your observer straight away! Your observer does not need to have a Food Safety Certificate just a good understanding of Food Safety.

We understand how confusing it can be to get the certificates you need, so let us help you get the Food Safety Certificate that your council wants to see!


Legal Stuff 

Train to Gain has a record keeping system that ensures that student assessment records are collated and kept for a minimum of four years after the completion of a students course.  

This is conducted in accordance with the Principles of Assessment (primarily concerned with the retention, archiving, retrieval and transfer of records) contained in the Australian Skills Quality Authority Standards for Registered Training Organisations. 

Please Note:

We call 75% of our observers to ensure that the evidence from the Third Party Checklist/Assessment Form is correct and up to date. This also gives us the opportunity as a training provider to gain direct feedback from the observer.

This verbal communication helps us gauge the industry and its trends and aids us in being a leader in hospitality training.

Please click on this link to see our accreditation to do Food Safety training!


State Food Legislation

If you would like more information regarding the various State Food Safety legislation you can access this information at the links below.

NSW Food Safety Legislation

Queensland Food Safety Legislation

South Australian Food Safety Legislation

Western Australia Food Safety Legislation

Victorian Food Safety Legislation

Tasmanian Food Safety Legislation

Northern Territory Food Safety Legislation

ACT Food Safety Legislation


What computer/technical software do I need?

Any modern desktop/PC, tablet or mobile web browser with Javascript enabled

A reliable computer with internet access

A printer –so you can print out your certificate


I have a student visa, can I  train with Train to Gain?

Short answer is no! We are not registered for CRICOS. The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students is a register of Australian education institutions that recruit, enrol and teach overseas students. Please go to this link for further information. http://cricos.education.gov.au/


Technical Issues

If you are having any technical issues, here are a few tips to solving them.

I can't see the DVD's

IE Solutions:

If the drop down box in the quizzes or the DVD’s isn’t working or isn’t appearing correctly then try this.

1. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Security tab; make sure that in "Select a zone" window that Internet is selected.

2. Click Custom Level and scroll down about half way to "Display mixed content" in the "Miscellaneous section".

3. Change it from Prompt to Enable.

4. Click OK, Yes, and OK. The change should take effect immediately.

You will need to have Flash Player installed to watch the DVD's.

Click on this link to see if you have Flash Player installed.

This page will tell you whether you already have Flash installed on the browser you are using.

For example, if you are using Chrome, it says 'Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe Flash Player built-in' etc.

If you don't have the latest version of Flash installed, the page will show a different message, and a large yellow 'Download Now' button will appear.

You then need to click on that button and follow the steps to install and update the Flash player.

You need to have Cookies enabled on your browser.

How you do this will depend on your browser. Internet Explorer, Safari, Mozilla etc
Just Google ‘How to enable cookies’ for your browser and follow the steps.


What if I get a question wrong, what happens then?

If you get any questions wrong then you just repeat the question until you get it right. You have as many times as you need to get the question right and you can always contact us for support. You also have the workbook available on line to assist you in your training.

Other training providers will lock you out for days if you get a question wrong, or make you pay for the whole course again!

We will NEVER do that because we give the best customer service in the business and we are here to support you!

I work in Hospitality/ Retail- what certificate do I need?

It depends on what role you have at work. Different job roles require different certificates.

When it comes to the Hospitality & Retail industry a unit of competency is transferable to the Retail sector and vice versa to the Hospitality sector in the food safety area. However when it comes to the Health Food Safety units these are only accepted in those fields. We always strongly suggest you talk to your local council about what requirements they need from you as they have their own local policies regarding Food Safety Accreditation.

Certificates that we offer:

Food Safety Level 1

SITXFSA001 Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety 

Previously called 

SITXFSA101 Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety

This certificate is for people working in a kitchen, café, restaurant, school canteen, hotel, supermarkets or other food retail outlets, under supervision. (Also known as Food Safety Level 1, Food Handlers, RSF, Food Hygiene Training, Safe Food Handling).


Food Safety Level 2

SITXFSA002 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices

Previously called 

SITXFSA201 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices

This certificate is for people who will be the Food Safety Supervisor and who have already completed Food Safety Level 1.


Food Safety Level 1&2

Food Safety Supervisor Certificate for Hospitality/Retail

SITXFSA001 Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety

SITXFSA002 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices 

This certificate is Level 1 & Level 2 combined into the one course. This is for people who will be the Food Safety Supervisor.

If you are unsure about what level of training you need, or the code you require on your certificate, please contact the Environmental Health Office at your local council and they will advise you of the correct training.


I work in the health sector. (Children/Elderly)What certificate do I need?

We offer the three units below in the one course. Combined they make up the Food Safety Supervisor Certificate within the health sector. We strongly suggest you talk with your local council about what requirements they need from you as they have their own local policies regarding Food Safety Accreditation. We do not offer these units individually.


Food Safety Supervisor Certificate for Aged Care/ Child Care

HLTFSE001 Follow Basic Food Safety Practices

HLTFSE007 Oversee the Day to Day Implementation of Food Safety in the Workplace

HLTFSE005 Apply and Monitor Food Safety Requirements


Accurate Representation of Self 

When you register & enrol in a course you agree not to impersonate or represent any other person than the person on the Enrolment Form. All course assessments must be completed by the enrolled customer.

Your observer will be required to complete a comprehensive Third Party Form that states you have been observed dealing with the practical requirements of RSA training. Please note – there are random checks done on the references you provide. Should you be found to be fraudulent in your information, disciplinary action will be taken. Please see this information in our student handbook below.

Making false or misleading representation that you are another person or character is a criminal offence and can give rise to civil liability.

You will also be asked to declare that the work is all yours.

Refund Policy


1. This policy covers all fees payable for training services provided within Train to Gain’s scope of registration. Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTO’s) 2015, standard 5.3.


2. To provide for appropriate handling of clients’ payments and to facilitate refunds in the case of cancellation by either party. The refunds process will allow customers the option to disengage from training in a manner in which a negative impact may be negated or reduced, depending upon notification time frame and the reasoning for the refund request.

General Rules

3. The following reflects Train to Gains refund process for students completing online training with Train to Gain.

  • Refunds must be requested in writing to the Director of Train to Gain via contact@traintogain.com.au 
  • Once payment has been made the Director shall determine the outcome of any refund requests
  • If student wishes to transfer to another course, then this request must be made in writing
  • Once a refund has been made, the student will be wiped from the register and their logon details deleted.
  • The Director of Train to Gain will process refund requests within 90 days from the day of receipt
  • If the online course does not work for the student - all efforts will be made by the Train to Gain staff to assist the student in completing their work.
  • If the online course does not work due to the students computer not supporting their requirements or the student not having the necessary experience as stipulated by Train to Gain – a refund will not be applicable 
  • If a student changes their mind or sources an alternate course elsewhere – a refund will not be applicable 
  • Once the course is commenced- a refund will not be applicable
  • Once payment has been made there will be a $25 administration fee to process any refund. (This is only applicable if the student does not commence the course)
  • The term 'commencement' in this policy refers to when enrolment is completed and the student begins the course.
  • Under certain circumstances a course may be transferred to another party if all parties agree to the transfer- this request must be made in writing.
  • In the case of a fraudulent fee being paid by a student – Train to Gain will assist the person making the complaint in every way possible and will provide personal details about the person to the Police only. The student or person who claims the fraudulent payment needs to take the matter up with their financial institution. Train to Gain accepts no responsibility for fraudulent fees being paid and will not be liable for refunds to the complainant. The student who has made the payment under another person’s credit card will have their enrolment suspended pending all Train to Gain investigations.


We abide by The Consumer Affairs policies and procedures.

Please view the following information about Train to Gain's rights and obligations regarding refunds below:



 Privacy Statement and Student Declaration

Privacy Notice

Under the Data Provision Requirements 2012, Train to Gain Pty Ltd is required to collect personal information about you and to disclose that personal information to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd (NCVER).

Your personal information (including the personal information contained on this enrolment form and your training activity data) may be used or disclosed by Train to Gain Pty Ltd for statistical, regulatory and research purposes. Train to Gain Pty Ltd may disclose your personal information for these purposes to third parties, including:

  • School if you are a secondary student undertaking VET, including a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship;
  • Employer if you are enrolled in training paid by your employer;
  • Commonwealth and State or Territory government departments and authorised agencies;
  • NCVER;
  • Organisations conducting student surveys; and
  • Researchers.

Personal information disclosed to NCVER may be used or disclosed for the following purposes:

  • Issuing statements of attainment or qualification, and populating authenticated VET transcripts;
  • facilitating statistics and research relating to education, including surveys;
  • understanding how the VET market operates, for policy, workforce planning and consumer information; and
  • administering VET, including programme administration, regulation, monitoring and evaluation.

  You may receive an NCVER student survey which may be administered by an NCVER employee, agent or third party contractor.You may opt out of the survey at the time of being contacted. NCVER will collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth),the VET Data Policy and all NCVER policies and protocols (including those published on NCVER’s website at www.ncver.edu.au.

Train to Gain - Complaints and Appeals Policy

If you have any complaint or issue that you would like to raise with us, please see our complaints and appeals policy to best direct your enquiry.

Language Literacy and Numeracy

To assist in identifying any special learning needs, you are required to provide the Train to Gain with information regarding your LL&N requirements on your enrolment form, prior to the start of the training program. 

Conversely, if you do have any learning difficulties you are encouraged to discuss these with your course instructor or facilitator either prior to course commencement or during the course enrolment.

Be assured that discussions with our staff will be treated as confidential.

Your requirements:

  • To be able to read and write English 

  • Be able to operate a computer 

  • Have access to the internet 

  • Have access to an email account 

  • Have access to a printer

  • Have a USI number

Please see our student handbook for details of student support services for Language, Literacy and Numeracy.

Food Safety Education Train to Gain Pty Ltd contact@traintogain.com.au
ACN: 134 929 221
Social Media
eWay Payments eWAY Payment Gateway
Website Developed by Beyond Web Development